1. Brookwood 42, Colquitt County 25: Brookwood’s first two games this season against teams currently in the top 10 resulted in losses to Archer (25-17) and Walton (42-35). That’s a big part of the reason the computer Maxwell Ratings had the Broncos as 23-point underdogs against then-No. 2 Colquitt County. But Brookwood bucked the odds, earning some payback for a 52-14 loss to the Packers last season, and moved into the rankings at No. 8.
2. Mount de Sales 14, Aquinas 3: Mount de Sales was the biggest underdog to win in Week 5, projected as a 28-point underdog against the team ranked No. 10 in Class A private last week. The Cavaliers avenged a 27-14 loss to the Fighting Irish last year and improved to 3-1 for the season. Mount de Sales started 2-1 in 2016 but lost its final seven.
3. Benedictine 30, Swainsboro 18: As expected, Benedictine won its 19th consecutive game. Also not a surprise was that Swainsboro, a 34-point underdog despite a 3-0 record, was competitive. However, it was unusually close by Benedictine standards – the 12-point margin was the closest during the winning streak, edging out a 21-7 win over St. Pius last year.
4. East Coweta 36, North Cobb 35: North Cobb had risen to No. 5 in Class AAAAAAA after its first 3-0 start since 2012, but the Warriors dropped out of the rankings after 20-point underdog East Coweta scored the game-winning touchdown and two-point conversion with 5:02 remaining. East Coweta (3-1) avenged an 18-12 loss to the Warriors in 2016.
5. Brunswick 43, Camden County 27: Brunswick is the only coastal Georgia team that has had much luck against Camden County in the past 20 years, but even the Pirates had lost 11 in a row in the series and came in as 14-point underdogs. This time, Brunswick took an early lead and held it throughout, winning in Kingsland for the first time since 1999.
Worth noting: Carrollton opened play in Region 7-AAAAA with a 43-41 victory over East Paulding. It was a narrow escape for the fourth-ranked No. 4 Trojans against a team that is 1-3, lost to Carrollton 45-7 last year and came in as a 14-point underdog. … Dade County dropped 17-favorite Model, a playoff team in 2016, to 0-4 for the season with a 28-21 victory. Model went 7-4 last season. The Blue Devils had won seven of the previous eight meetings with Dade, including 35-13 last season. … Howard improved to 4-1 with a 25-11 victory over 14-point favorite Veterans in its final tune-up before beginning play in Region 2-AAAA. Howard lost to Veterans 26-7 last year and finished 1-9 overall and 0-5 in the region. … Mount Vernon Presbyterian is 4-0 for the second consecutive season after a 41-36 victory over previously unbeaten Temple. The Mustangs will look for a better finish this year after they went 2-5 down the stretch in 2016. … Perry, under first-year head Kevin Smith, is 2-1 for the first time since 2012 after a 49-22 victory over Harris County, which was projected as a four-point favorite. Harris County beat Perry 35-17 last year and had won four straight in the series.
Produced by Georgia High School Football Daily, a free e-mail newsletter. To join the mailing list, click here.