There was almost no change to the Class AA top 10 from last week, just a minor tweak of No. 4 Fitzgerald and No. 3 Screven County swapping places.The Purple Hurricane remain in the top 5 despite being the only team in the rankings with two losses, narrowly losing to AAAAAAA’s Camden County, 24-21. Screven County beat Wade Hampton (South Carolina) 48-13.
For a breakdown of AA games played in Week 3, go here.
Here’s a glimpse at the updated rankings, with the previous week’s rankings in parenthesis:
1. (1) Benedictine (2-0)
2. (2) Hapeville Charter (2-1)
3. (4) Screven County (2-0)
4. (3) Fitzgerald (1-2)
5. (5) Rabun County (2-0)
6. (6) Callaway (2-0)
7. (7) Thomasville (3-0)
8. (8) Brooks County (2-0)
9. (9) Jefferson County (2-0)
10. (10) Dodge County (2-0)
- As was mentioned in the Friday night recap for Week 3, Benedictine coach Danny Britt earned his 100th career victory. Also of note, he did it in Benedictine’s 1,000th game in program history. Here’s some more numbers from Benedictine on Britt’s milestone.
- Benedictine has a prominent display at the new Mercedes-Benz Stadium for its 2016 AA title.
- Rabun County quarterback Bailey Fisher was recently featured in a video produced by WDUNN. His play last week earned him Blitz’s Player of the Week honors.
- Numerous AA games started late thanks to weather, including those of Benedictine, Dodge County and Dublin, but Dublin wins latest start honors with a kickoff time of 10:31 p.m. Dublin eventually beat Wilkinson County 51-6.
- Here’s more on Thomasville’s JT Rice’s breaking of a 20-year-old team record.
- Fitzgerald Class of 2016 running back and AJC Super 11 selection is doing big things for Oklahoma State as a true freshman.
- Harlem’s AJ Brown made WJBF’s Top Plays highlight reel with a 69-yard touchdown run, which was part of a 256-yard, 3 touchdown night in a 48-16 win over Warren County. Westside’s Savoy Rushton also made top plays with his 52-yard pick six.
- Dodge County linebacker Tyler Ruffin was named WMAZ’s “Ribrocker” for his hit on West Laurens quarterback A.J. Mathis.
- All Access Northwest Georgia has highlights of Pepperell’s game day at Berry College against Pickens. The Dragons won 39-28. Jeremy Stewart has the game story for the Rome News-Tribune.
- Berrien is 2-1 after edging AAA’s Dogherty 14-7. Chauntrel Powell has the game story for The Albany Herald.
- They’re fired up in Callaway after the Cavaliers’ win over the No. 1 team in Alabama. They beat Handley out of Roanoke, 35-0.
- Model is seeking donations for a Jumbotron (tongue in cheek). No word yet on if anyone has stepped up.
- After losing 49-14 to Adairsville, Model is 0-2 and must turn its season around in order to make the state playoffs for a sixth consecutive year. The Blue Devils remain optimistic.
“AA in brief” will run every Tuesday. Is there something you’d like to see in this space? Follow and reach out to us on Twitter.