Round 2 of the Class AAAAAA football playoffs goes to Region 1.
The powerhouse region, made up of five teams scattered across middle and south Georgia, got all four of its playoff teams into the second round but was matched up on Friday with Region 5, which also went 4-0 in the first round.
Final score: 3-1, in favor of Region 1.
– Top-ranked Valdosta had little trouble with Northgate in a 35-0 win and has outscored its two playoff opponents 104-14.
– Fifth-ranked Northside-Warner Robins held an opponent to 14 points or less for the 11th time this season, beating Hughes 38-14. Northside is the only No. 2 seed remaining.
– Unranked Coffee built a 42-20 lead and held on for a 42-34 victory over No. 7 Alexander to advance to the quarterfinals for the first time since 2008. Coffee is the only No. 4 seed remaining.
– The only Region 5 winner was third-ranked Mays, which rallied from a 22-8 halftime deficit to beat No. 8 Lee County 35-22.
Region 1 is the only Class AAAAAA region with three teams remaining.
Two other regions (4-AAAAAA and 6-AAAAAA) put three teams in the second round.
– Region 4 went 2-1, with No. 4 Tucker beating No. 6 Harrison 23-7 and Stephenson winning 20-6 against Dacula, knocking out the last surviving Region 8 team. Stephenson is the only No. 3 seed remaining. The other Region 4 team, Lovejoy, put up a good fight but lost to second-ranked Dalton 24-14.
– Dalton was the only one of the three Region 6 teams to survive. Allatoona lost to Glynn Academy 47-7 in a rematch of last year’s Class AAAAA championship game, which Allatoona won 10-6. Harrison, the region’s No. 2 seed, was knocked out by Tucker.
So Regions 1 and 4 will provide five of the eight teams playing in next week’s quarterfinals. The other three teams are region champions Glynn Academy (Region 2), Mays (Region 5) and Dalton (Region 6).
Tucker 23, Harrison 7
Mays 35, Lee County 22
Glynn Academy 47, Allatoona 7
Northside-Warner Robins 38, Hughes 10
Stephenson 20, Dacula 6
Valdosta 35, Northgate 0
Dalton 24, Lovejoy 14
Coffee 42, Alexander 34
(R4 #1) Tucker at (R5 #1) Mays at Lakewood Stadium
(R1 #2) Northside-Warner Robins at (R2 #1) Glynn Academy
(R4 #3) Stephenson at (R1 #1) Valdosta
(R1 #4) Coffee at (R6 #1) Dalton