1. Greene County 42, Lincoln County 14:Greene County recorded its highest point total in 30 all-time meetings with Lincoln County and won a game in which it was projected as an eight-point underdog by the computer Maxwell Ratings. It was Greene’s first win over a ranked team since beating Laney (ranked No. 3) in 2005.
2. Pickens 35, Ridgeland 34:A week after appearing to drop out of the title race in Region 6-AAAA with a 50-41 loss to Northwest Whitfield, Pickens got right back into it with a victory over 19-point favorite Ridgeland, which suffered its first loss of the season. Pickens can win the title outright with victories in its last two games and a Northwest Whitfield loss.
3. Roswell 17, Etowah 14:Top-ranked Roswell was a 36-point favorite but needed a touchdown in the final minute to escape with the victory. It was the Hornets’ first game this season decided by fewer than 17 points and tied for their lowest point total. Roswell has won 19 consecutive regular-season games since a 28-18 loss to Etowah on Oct. 31, 2014.
4. Lithia Springs 14, Decatur 7:Lithia Springs, an 11-point underdog, snapped a 25-game losing streak that was the longest in school history and won for just the third time since the start of the 2012 season. It was the Lions’ first win since beating Chapel Hill 27-7 on Sept. 5, 2014. Decatur (1-7) is guaranteed of having its worst record since at least 2008.
5. Montgomery County 29, Jenkins County 18:Montgomery County started the season 0-6 but has now won two consecutive games against teams favored by at least 12 points. First was a 28-23 victory over a Treutlen team that was favored by 19. Then the Eagles beat 12-point favorite Jenkins County to move into fourth place in Region 3-A Div. A.
Also of note: Lakeside (Evans) went 0-5 in non-region play but improved to 3-0 in 3-AAAAAA with a 28-26 victory over 15-point favorite Heritage (Conyers). Lakeside can clinch the region championship with a victory over Evans this week. …Mount Vernon Presbyteriansecured its first five-win season since moving to the GHSA in 2012 with a 30-7 victory over 10-point favorite Our Lady of Mercy. Mount Vernon, No. 23 in the Class A power ratings last week, is fighting for its first GHSA playoff berth. …Spencer beat Lamar County 39-0 to remain tied for first place in 5-AA and keep its hopes alive for the school’s first region title. Second-year Spencer coach Pierre Coffey is 14-6 at a school that hadn’t had a winning season since 1977. … Towers was the biggest Maxwell underdog to win over the weekend when it beat 20-point favorite Redan 18-14. Towers improved to 4-4 overall, only the second time in seven seasons that the Titans have reached the four-win mark. …Washington-Wilkes, which started the season 0-5, beat Aquinas 43-19 for its third consecutive victory and moved into a three-way tie for first place with Lincoln County and Aquinas in Region 7-A Div. B. Aquinas was a seven-point favorite.
Produced by Georgia High School Football Daily, a free e-mail newsletter. To join the mailing list, click here.