Aubrey Solomon, the state’s top uncommitted senior recruit, executed a strip, scoop and score against his friend Jake Fromm last week in Lee County’s victory over then-No. 1 Houston County.
Fromm, the Houston County quarterback, asked Solomon about the play after the game.
“He wanted to know how that play really happened,” Solomon told Jeff Sentell of DawgNation. “If I was going for the strip or the sack. I told him – to be honest – I was going for the sack, but it just happened and played my way. I just had to take it from him.”
Solomon also took from Fromm the lead in this week’s Player of the Year Watch.
1. DL Aubrey Solomon, Lee County:Solomon had two tackles for losses and a sack, forced a fumble and scored on the return of 18 yards in a 55-29 victory over Houston County. For the season, Solomon has 50 tackles, 11 for losses, eight sacks, 12 QB hurries and 14 big hits. Lee County is 6-0 and ranked No. 1 in AAAAAA. Solomon is the consensus No. 5 defensive-tackle prospect in the country.
2. QB Jake Fromm, Houston County: Fromm was 25-of-51 passing for 358 yards and four touchdowns but four interceptions in a 55-29 loss to Lee County last week. For the season, Fromm is 173-of-268 passing for 2,906 yards and 28 touchdowns with seven interceptions. Houston County is 6-1 and ranked No. 9 in Class AAAAAA. Fromm, who is committed to Georgia, is the consensus No. 4 pro-style quarterback prospect nationally.
3. QB Trevor Lawrence, Cartersville: Lawrence was 18-of-29 passing for 283 yards and four touchdowns in a 52-7 victory over LaGrange. For the season, Lawrence is 121-of-192 for 1,900 yards and 24 touchdowns with seven interceptions. Cartersville is 7-0 and ranked No. 1 in Class AAAA. Lawrence is the consensus No. 1 junior recruit in the nation.
4. RB Zay Malcome, Westminster: Malcome had 437 all-purpose yards – 175 rushing, 64 receiving, 198 returning – in a 49-36 victory over Pace Academy. Malcome returned a kickoff 99 yards and an interception 58. On the season, Malcome has rushed for 859 yards and 12 touchdowns on 103 carries. He has 310 kick-return yards on seven attempts. He has 14 receptions for 186 yards and a touchdown. He has intercepted two passes and returned them for 83 yards.
5. QB Justin Fields, Harrison: Fields passed for 222 yards, rushed for 91 and had a hand in four touchdowns in a 35-7 victory over Sprayberry. For the season, Fields is 68-of-106 passing for 1,266 yards and 12 touchdowns and has rushed for a team-leading 543 yards and eight touchdowns on 77 carries for a 6-0 team ranked No. 4 in AAAAAA. Fields, a junior, is rated the No. 16 dual-threat quarterback in the class of 2018.
Others to watch: Bainbridge RB Dameon Pierce rushed for 305 yards – his second consecutive 300-yard game – in a 31-6 victory over Veterans. The Alabama-pledged junior has rushed for 1,009 yards and 13 touchdowns on 125 carries for a 2-4 team. Pierce missed one game with an ankle injury. … Cook RB Brandon Doe rushed for 330 yards and two touchdowns on 29 carries in a 37-30 loss to Worth County. Doe has rushed for 1,528 yards and 12 touchdowns in 165 carries. He leads the state in rushing. … Grayson QB Chase Brice was 11-of-15 passing from 235 yards and three touchdowns in a 70-6 victory over Shiloh. For the season, the Clemson-pledged senior is 74-of-106 for 1,145 yards and 13 touchdowns. Grayson, the preseason No. 1, is No. 3 in Class AAAAAAA. … Macon County QB K’hari Lane threw five TD passes in a game for the fifth time this season in a 55-10 victory over Crawford County. For the season, Lane is 99-of-161 passing for 1,821 yards and 25 touchdowns for a 4-2 team ranked No. 2 in the Class A public division. At this pace, Lane would break or tie Hutson Mason’s state record of 54 TD passes in a season in the 13th game. … Landmark Christian RB/LB Lofton Tidwell had 52 yards rushing and two touchdowns and nine tackles in one quarter of a 54-6 victory over Fulton Leadership Academy. Tidwell has rushed for 765 yards and made 63 tackles for a 7-0 team ranked No. 3 in the Class A private division.
Produced by Georgia High School Football Daily, a free e-mail newsletter. To join the mailing list, click here.